White paternalism is the belief that whites know what is best for people of other races, viewing them pretty much as overgrown children. It is racist since it assumes that whites know better than other races.
- white man’s burden – the duty of whites to help the lesser races. Used in the early 1900s to excuse imperialism.
- white saviour films – where a white hero saves people of colour. “The Blind Side” (2009), “Dangerous Minds” (1995), etc
- Western imperialism – which seeks not just control of land, trade and taxes like most empires, but goes beyond that to remaking subjects in its own image – Westernization.
- American and Australian policy on natives – separating children from their parents to make them white; controlling what little land they have left.
- whites adopting African children - like Madonna and Angelina Jolie.
- white allies – when they go beyond merely helping anti-racist causes to telling people of colour what to do, trying to take over.
White paternalists love to:
- Point out the success of whites and the failures of blacks – Mugabe, Detroit, white inventions.
- See blacks screw up or act like fools.
- Talk down to blacks.
- Tell blacks that they treat them better than anyone else would.
- Tell blacks, in so many words, that they “saved” them from Africa.
White paternalists hate it when:
- Blacks are not grateful to them.
- Blacks get angry or say anything bad about whites.
You see that not just from white commenters on this blog, you see it in how they show blacks on American television. Black crime. Black buffoons. Black pathologies. Screwed-up or helpless black countries.
White paternalists do not see:
- Their failed record at handling the affairs of people of colour: genocide, slavery, Jim Crow, apartheid, taking their land, taking their children, screwing up their countries – Vietnam, El Salvador, Chile, Gaza, Congo and on and on. They do not see that the most successful non-white country was one of the few countries they were not able to screw up: Japan, which shut out the West for hundreds of years.
- That much of their “success” was based on screwing up the very people they are now supposedly trying to “help”. America was built on Indian land and black slave labour. The West was built on robbing the world through the Spanish, Portuguese, French and British empires. They do not see that they got to where they are not through better wisdom or “values” or culture or genes, but through the barrel of a gun.
- That just as whites know what is in their own best interest, so do blacks and Indians and Vietnamese and everyone else. There is nothing special about white people. They point to Mugabe but not to Hitler or Stalin. They point to the black illegitimacy rate when it went over 20%, but not to the white illegitimacy rate when it went over 20%. They point to black street crime but not to Wall Street crime. Etc.
Whites say, “Where would you be without us?” Wrong: where would they be without us!