White American terrorists are terrorists who are White Americans. Most are White supremacists, like Dylann Roof and the Klan, or anti-government, like Tim McVeigh and George Washington.
According to the FBI:
“‘Domestic terrorism’ means activities with the following three characteristics:
- Involve acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;
- Appear intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination. or kidnapping; and
- Occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S.”
The Baltimore police department fits that definition.
So does the Ferguson police department, given how they left Michael Brown’s body lying there in the street in the middle of a Black neighbourhood for several hours.
So does Dylann Roof, given how he left one person alive so she could tell others.
None of these three, though, fit the definition of the “federal crime of terrorism” since they did not go after the government or its employees.
As of this writing:
The FBI does not see Roof as a terrorist.
Nor does President Obama. Compare:
- Dylann Roof, White, kills 9 Blacks at a church – gun control issue.
- Wade Michael Page, White, kills 6 Sikhs at a temple – gun control issue.
- Tsarnaev brothers, Muslim, kill 3 Whites and 1 Asian at a race – a terrorist act against people of the United States and Boston.
The White press is divided over whether Roof is a terrorist. It tends to regard White American mass killers as mentally ill, “troubled”, “lone wolves”, “isolated incidents” and so on – terms they rarely apply to Muslims.
A study by UCLA professor Travis Dixon found that of the domestic terrorists reported by US television news (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC and Univision) from 2008 to 2012, 81% were Muslim. Yet, during that very same period, the FBI reported that only 6% of domestic terrorist suspects were in fact Muslim.
It seems that Obama and the media are mainly using the Whitespeak Dictionary definition:
terrorist (n) – a Muslim who kills White people.
The worst terrorist attacks on US soil since 9/11 (according to the New American Foundation, a think tank that studies Al Qaeda, among other things):
- Fort Hood (2009): 13 dead
- Charleston Church shooting (2015): 9 dead
- Sikh Temple shooting (2012): 6 dead
The Boston Marathon bombing, which the White press makes a huge deal of, is in a tie for fourth place with two other cases you hardly ever hear of: Ali Muhammad Brown and the White supremacists David Pedersen and Holly Grigsby.
According to the same think tank, Muslim extremists have killed 26 people in the US since 9/11, while non-Muslim extremists have killed nearly twice as many: 48. And they are not even counting the Chapel Hill shooting earlier this year because they see that as a parking dispute.
The Department of Homeland Security used to have a group that studied White supremacist and anti-government terrorists. It was disbanded in 2009 when it tried to come out with a report that Republican lawmakers did not like.
– Abagond, 2015.
- The term “terrorist”