White Americans are still racist when it comes to blacks. They are not as bad as the whites who gave us Jim Crow, the Klan, the Nazis or apartheid, but they are still racist. It is not just a matter of a few rednecks saying the n-word.
- If you are black and looking for work and “sound white” over the telephone, then you might call up a place and hear that some positions are open. You get there an hour later and they tell you the positions have all been filled. In just one hour. Or they make you take a test and then do not hire you. But then some white person with less experience gets the position a week later – without taking any test at all! I am not making this stuff up.
- I once worked at a place where the whites had degrees mostly from no-name universities while the few blacks who worked there all had Ivy League educations.
- Blacks have to stay in school about two years longer to make the same money as a white person.
- About 90% of suburban whites live in a place that is less than 1% black. It is not because blacks cannot afford to live there: about 9% of the American middle-class is black. I am a part of that “missing” 8% so I know where it went and why:
- When I got married and wanted to move out of New York, I was shown a dozen or so houses in this one place that was south of some railroad tracks, but only one house to the north of those tracks: a small, strange-shaped house no one wanted. The people north of tracks were no richer than I was – but they were white. South of the tracks, where I was shown so many houses, was where the blacks lived. This is called racial steering.
- There was a drug war in the part of New York where I lived. Not because it was black and poor: in fact, it was largely black and middle-class. But the police had pushed the war there from other parts of the city. They made it crystal clear they did not care about the lives of black people, not even middle-class ones. So Katrina did not surprise me one bit.
- Why is it that when an unarmed man is shot or beaten dozens of times by the police (Sean Bell, Rodney King, Amadou Diallo, etc) he is black, never white?
- Why is it that in a country that is one-eighth black and is world-famous for its black entertainers, only one Oscar in 80 for Best Actress went to a black woman – Halle Berry?
- Why is it that in a country where a third of the missing women are black the ones you see on cable news are always white?
And so on.
Yes, blacks are racist too but they do not have the power in American society to do even half the things listed here. And their racism is directed more against themselves than against whites.