This song is from their album “Nation II Nation” (2013). Their musical style brings together powwow and dubstep. The band is from Ontario, Canada. Two of the band members are Iroquois (Mohawk, Cayuga) and the third Anishinaabe. The singing is by the Northern Voice Singers from Quebec. They sing in a powwow style in Atikamekw, a Cree (Algonquian) language.
The video is shot in Ottawa. That flag is a Mohawk flag. The three “sisters” are Sarain Fox (Anishinaabe), Aria Evans (mixed race, Mi’kmaq) and Kawennáhere Devery Jacobs (Mohawk). They are dancers and actresses.
Thanks to Anne and Herneith for letting me know about this band.
- Welcome to Native American Heritage Month 2015
- The Native Peoples of the Chesapeake Bay Region – although way to the south, it also had both Iroquoian and Algonquian people, like in the band and in the video.
- Martha Redbone Roots Project: The Garden of Love
- Lilly Singh – who the women in the video remind me of. She is also from Canada.
- A Tribe Called Quest ft Leaders of the New School: Scenario