Last week, from February 5th to 11th 2017, I got nearly all my news from Breitbart News, a right-wing US news outlet read by President Trump and once led by his top adviser, Steve Bannon. I was hoping for some insight into the Brain of Trump, but it is way too whitewashed for that.
My blood pressure went down not up, if anything. Breibart does not take part in what it calls the liberal “hysteria” over Trump. They have full confidence in him. They pass over his lies and mistakes, along with the ethical issues concerning his top people. His racism, Islamophobia and xenophobia are merest common sense, what most “regular Americans” believe, as proved by his (electoral college) victory and (cherry-picked) poll numbers.
Sure, Breitbart makes Muslims, Mexicans, Blacks and left-wing protesters seem dangerous and out-of-control, but I dismissed that as third-rate fear-mongering. They were upset about Trump’s Muslim ban getting struck down by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, but I was glad.
All in all it was a relatively peaceful week (pictured above).
But then when I watched “Saturday Night Live” I was not getting the references. For example, I did not know why they had Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway stalking CNN reporter Jake Tapper. I did not know she had been banned from CNN for 48 hours.
Other stuff I did not know:
- Trump said he received no calls opposing the Dakota Access Pipeline – not pointing out that he had turned off the public comment line.
- There were #NoDAPL protests nationwide.
- Trump signed a Blue Lives Matter order.
- Kellyanne Conway did not simply “misspeak” about the Bowling Green Massacre, but was pushing the untrue story to support the Muslim ban.
- Trump’s Muslim ban was struck down for lack of evidence.
- Trump left off Dylann Roof and other White nationalists from his list of terrorist attacks.
- The list was misspelled.
- The many ethical issues with his cabinet picks, like Scott Pruitt’s emails.
These are things I would have known as a matter of course.
Some of the White Liberal criticism of the Trump Administration did bleed through when they bashed liberals. For example, I knew Nancy Pelosi called Steve Bannon a White supremacist because they wrote an article about the Zionist Organization of America defending him.
It is like hearing 60% of a conversation.
Worst of all, even what they did report was sometimes misleading or untrue. For example:
- They claimed that Black Lives Matter called for the killing of White people – but without actually backing it up.
- They went along with Trump’s “alternative facts” about crowd size at the inauguration.
- They made it seem like the US Army Corps of Engineers had completed its environmental review of the Dakota Access Pipeline – when in fact they had cancelled it!
The last two were contradicted by the very newswire stories they carry from AP, UPI and AFP (the best part of the website).
Breitbart News is not a serious attempt at understanding the world – or even of getting the facts right.
– Abagond, 2017.
- Breitbart News
- Steve Bannon
- fake news
- alternative facts
- RationalWiki media guide
- Trump’s Muslim ban
- Dylann Roof
- White Liberals
- electoral college
- Orwell’s 1984