It was caught on video. It shows him running up to a police car shooting his gun over and over. Like something out of a Hollywood movie. He comes all the way up to the car and even sticks his gun inside, but then turns and runs. The officer, Jesse Hartnett, gets out of the car and runs after him.
Amazingly, both are still alive. They were each hit three times. Hartnett is in the hospital with a badly damaged left arm.
Archer has been arrested for attempted murder. No grand jury required! For some reason, it did not take the mayor 400 days to make the video public, even though it is part of an Ongoing Investigation.
Archer’s criminal past:
- Last March, Archer pleaded guilty to assault and gun charges: in 2012 he pointed a gun at a man, apparently as a threat.
- Last November, while acting as his own lawyer, he was found guilty of forgery and careless driving.
His mental health: His mother says he has been acting strangely lately, talking to himself, hearing voices. He suffered head injuries in high school playing football and several years ago in a moped accident.
Stated motive: The police say he did it “in the name of Islam” and that he “pledges his allegiance to Islamic State, he follows Allah and that was the reason he was called on to do this.” There is no proof, so far, that he acted with anyone else, much less ISIS (aka ISIL, IS, the Islamic State).
The mayor: “[l]ast night’s shooting had nothing to do with any faith. It was a violent assault by a criminal.”
- CNN: “Police: Suspect in officer’s shooting claims allegiance to ISIS.”
- New York Times: “Gunman Said He Shot Philadelphia Officer for ISIS, Police Say”
- BBC: “Philadelphia policeman ambushed ‘in name of Islam'”
- Al Jazeera America: “Man who shot Philadelphia police officer pledged allegiance to ISIL”
- The Guardian: “Philadelphia police identifies man who shot officer ‘in name of Islam'”
- Washington Post: “Suspect who police say pledged IS allegiance arraigned”
- The Root: “Philadelphia Officer Shot in ‘Attempted Assassination’”
- Raw Story: “Man who shot Philadelphia police officer cited Islam as motive: official”
- Daily Mail: “ISIS gunman Edward Archer tries to execute Philadelphia cop Jesse Hartnett”
As a Muslim he apparently does not qualify as a “lone wolf” or just plain nuts. But he does qualify as an “ISIS gunman”, despite his apparent lack of training and any known ties.
Jeb Bush tweeted:
“Praying for Officer Hartnett. Threats from homegrown radicalism continue to grow. We need a president who will lead the fight against it.”
What he said after Robert Dear, a Christian extremist, shot at six police officers at a Planned Parenthood, actually killing one:
“There is no acceptable explanation for this violence, and I will continue to pray for those who have been impacted.”
No radicalism detected! No call for action!
– Abagond, 2016.
- Christian extremists