What if instead of the White Default, the US had a Black Default?
- Black history would just be “history”.
- Black English would just be “English”.
- Black literature would just be “literature”.
- Black Hollywood would just be “Hollywood”.
- Black music would just be “music”.
- Black beauty would just be “beauty”.
- Black news would just be “the news”.
- Black progress would just be “progress”.
- Black crime would just be “crime”.
- Black Americans would just be “Americans”.
Meanwhile, White things would be called “White”:
- White history,
- White English,
- White literature,
- White Hollywood,
- White music,
- White beauty,
- White news,
- White progress,
- White crime,
- White Americans.
“White is beautiful” would be a catchphrase, because “Black is beautiful” would go without saying.
Beauty products and colour photography would work best on Black women.
“Flesh colour” crayons and Band-Aids would be the same shade as a brown paper bag.
Actors and models would be mostly Black. Especially hand models. Characters whose race did not matter, like those in “Lord of the Rings”, would be played by Black actors. Because Black is neutral, Black is universal, Black is the default. White actors would only play “White” characters, often flat or stereotyped ones at that.
Santa Claus and Jesus would be Black. So would seven Disney princesses. And, if the Black Default extended to Britain, so would James Bond and Doctor Who.
White Entertainment Television (WET) would be an actual channel, because most of television would be Black:
- CNN would report mainly Black news.
- The History Channel would show mainly Black history.
- MTV would have played mainly Black music.
Because Black is the default. Because Black goes without saying.
Books, magazines and newspapers would be mostly for and by Black people. Playboy would be Black. Vogue would be Black. Time would be Black. So would nearly everyone in New Yorker cartoons. Ivory would be one of the few White magazines.
At school, English would mean Black English (Ebonics). History would mean Black history (Africa and the Diaspora), with non-Blacks making Contributions from time to time.
White History Month would be in February, because of the birthdays of Washington and Lincoln. And because there would be no Black History Month. Schoolchildren would write reports about important White people – important, that is, to Black history.
Standardized tests would be written in Ebonics and assume knowledge of Black American culture. Questions would be added or dropped according to how well Black students did on them – because Black would be the norm.
White violence would be called that. It would not be caused by a lack of gun control or a lack of mental health care. It would be caused by White pathologies, like toxic White masculinity. There would be no Black pathologies – because Black would be the norm.
White people who point out the Black Default would be called racist, because the Black Default can never be racist: it is beyond race, it is that against which all else is measured.
– Abagond, 2015.
Images: Click on images to see where they came from.
- If English had a Black Default
- White Default
- White gaze
- Hollywood whitewashing
- White Entertainment Television
- White History Month
- “Black is beautiful”
- Language myth #13: Black children are verbally deprived
- The most beautiful women according to Kenya
- Magical Progress
- racial decade – the White Default is not a matter of “simple demographics”. US “mainstream” culture is far Whiter than the US itself.