In 2013 these were the women I reblogged most frequently on Tumblr:
1. Solange Knowles (1986- ), American singer, sister of Beyonce (#4). I have posted her songs “Losing You” (2012), “I Decided” (2008), “F*ck the Industry (Signed Sincerely)” (2010) and “Sandcastle Disco” (2008). I love her eyes and lips.
2. Erykah Badu (1971- ), American singer. I have posted her songs “Q.U.E.E.N.” (2013) with Janelle Monae (#15), “That Heat” (2006) with will.i.am and Sergio Mendes, “Window Seat” (2010) and “The Healer” (2008). I love her lips.
3. Lianne La Havas (1989- ), British singer. I am not (yet) a fan of her music, but I like how she looks.
4. Beyonce Knowles (1981- ), American singer, black beauty, wife of Jay-Z. Sang with Destiny’s Child. Seems too marketed to be believed. I have never bought her music for myself, but she is so omnipresent that her songs are in heavy rotation in the soundtrack of my life: “Irreplaceable” (2006), “Diva” (2009), “Run the World (Girls)” (2011), “Countdown” (2011), etc. Only “1+1″ (2011) has been posted here.
5. Phylicia Rashad (1948- ), American actress, black beauty and sister of Debbie Allen. Best known as Mrs Huxtable on “The Cosby Show” in the 1980s.
6. Amara La Negra (1990- ), American singer. I know her only from her pictures on Tumblr.
7. Teyonah Parris (197?- ), American actress. I know her only from her pictures on Tumblr.
9. Josephine Baker (1906-1975), American-born French singer, actress and dancer of the 1920s.
11. Nicki Minaj (1982- ), American rapper. Mostly she makes me cringe, but somewhere inside her seems to be a brave, intelligent woman.
12. Chescaleigh (Francesca Ramsey) (1983- ), American YouTuber, best known for “Sh*t White Girls Say … to Black Girls” (2012). I love her eyes.
13. Beauty Foster (1988- ), American model, Brooklyn’s own. I know her only from her pictures on Tumblr.
14. Diana Ross (1944- ), American singer and actress of the 1970s. Sang with the Supremes in the 1960s. She starred in “Lady Sings the Blues” (1972), “The Wiz” (1978) and “Mahogany” (1975, pictured above). All her hit songs are burned into my brain, of which I have posted “Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You’re Going To)” (1975), “Love Is Like an Itching in My Heart” (1966) and “I Hear a Symphony” (1966).
17. Miley Cyrus (1992- ), American singer, daughter of country singer Billy Ray Cyrus. The latest in a long line of White American entertainers who get rich by copying blacks badly.
20. Marissa Alexander (c. 1981- ), American gun owner. She is out on bail awaiting retrial. In 2012 she was sentenced to 20 years in prison for firing a warning shot at her abusive husband who threatened to kill her.
- abagond.tumblr.com – myTumblr blog
- Those I have done posts on:
- Related lists: