Booty, the human hindquarters, is much larger in humans than in other apes. English has many words for it that have arisen down through the ages:
- 1000s: arse
- 1200s: buttocks
- 1300s: bum, tail
- 1400s: butt, rump
- 1500s: backside
- 1600s: posterior, seat
- 1700s: behind, bottom, derriere
- 1800s: ass, tush, rear end
- 1900s: booty, batty, buns, fanny, keester
Some of these words are dialect, like ass, arse, bum, butt and batty. So is booty, but I am using it here because I just did a post on booty dancing.
The word booty itself goes back to the 1950s. It spread from Black American use to general North American use in the 1990s by way of hip hop. I am guessing that because of hip hop the word is known throughout the English-speaking world.
- Muscle: Provides muscles that allow humans to stand up and walk on two feet.
- Fat: In women it stores fat for having babies.
- Beauty: In women it is a secondary sexual characteristic, like breasts. On average it is larger in women than in men.
Stone Age art regularly shows women with big booties like it was a good thing.
The ancient Greeks: Aphrodite Kallipygos, goddess of love, had a booty more beautiful than any other part of her body. The Greeks built a temple to her. No other part of the body was so honoured by them.
The Western world is kind of strange:
- Writers: Since at least 1500 its writers and poets have said little that is good about booties.
- Fashion models: extremely thin, almost bootyless.
- American men’s magazines: only those for black men regularly show women with serious booty.
- Sarah Baartman: a black woman with a huge booty who was brought to Europe in the early 1800s. She became a sideshow and museum specimen.
Yet, despite all that, women’s clothing in the West, like the bustle (1780s) and designer jeans (1980s), helped women to look like they had a good booty.
Then came Jennifer Lopez. In the late 1990s white men were saying what a beautiful ass she had. The Economist called her “callipygian”. Yet black women have had that and better since forever. What was going on?
Then, when tennis star Serena Williams won the US Open in 2002, the white press said her covered booty was an “inappropriate” display of sexuality.
Backstory: White men used to commonly rape black women in slave times – men like Thomas Jefferson, an American Founding Father. Out of that came the Jezebel stereotype, the self-serving idea that black women are loose and mad for sex. Most White American men, even today, see black women as sex objects, not as women who possess beauty, who should be loved and treasured.
- Jennifer Lopez is beautiful because she can be loved.
- Serena Williams, when showing her “ghetto booty”, becomes hypersexualized as some thing to fuck.
Many black men have bought into this racist mindset too, as shown in countless music videos.