Here are the top ten school shooters in the world listed according to how many people they killed. Ties are settled by the number wounded. It does not count shooters who take part in a military, paramilitary or police action or those who do not mainly use a gun to kill. Flags are for where the shootings took place.
1. Seung-Hui Cho (1984-2007), age 23.
- Killed: 33
- Injured: 23 (6 from jumping out windows to escape)
- Date: April 16th 2007
- Place: USA: Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia
- Weapons: Glock 19, Walther P22.
- Psychology: selective mutism, major depressive disorder. Bullied (most shooters were bullied).
2. Adam Lanza (1992-2012), age 20.
- Killed: 28 (including his mother at home)
- Injured: 2
- Date: December 14th 2012
- Place: USA: Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut
- Weapons: Bushmaster XM-15 rifle, 10mm Glock 20 SF handgun, 9mm SIG Sauer handgun
- Psychology: Still unclear. He could not pass a background check to buy a gun but his mother had plenty – she was a gun nut.
3. Thomas Hamilton (1952-1996), age 43.
- Killed: 18
- Injured: 15
- Date: March 13th 1996
- Place: UK: Dunblane Primary School in Dunblane, Scotland
- Weapons: two 9mm Browning HP pistols, two S&W M19 .357 Magnum revolvers
- Psychology: a Scout leader accused of taking half-naked pictures of boys. Suspected child molester. His shop failed as rumours spread.
4. Robert Steinhäuser (1983-2002), age 19.
- Killed: 17
- Injured: 1
- Date: April 26th 2002
- Place: Germany: Gutenberg-Gymnasium in Erfurt, Thuringia
- Weapons: Mossberg 590 Mariner 12-gauge pump-action shotgun, 9mm Glock 17
- Psychology: Unknown. Had been kicked out of the school in 2001 without chance of graduation.
5. Charles Whitman (1941-1966), age 25.
- Killed: 16 (including an unborn child)
- Injured: 32
- Date: August 1st 1966
- Place: USA: University of Texas at Austin, Texas
- Weapons: Machete, Remington 700 ADL (6mm), Universal M1 Carbine, Remington M 141 (.35 calibre), Semi-automatic shotgun (12 gauge), S&W M19 (.357 Magnum), Luger P08 (9mm), Galesi-Brescia (.25 ACP)
- Psychology: Some months before the shooting he visited a psychiatrist, who noted that Whitman “seemed to be oozing with hostility […] that something seemed to be happening to him and that he didn’t seem to be himself.” Had a brain tumour that may have affected his flight/fight response. His father was a gun nut.
6. Tim Kretschmer (1991-2009), age 17.
- Killed: 16
- Injured: 9
- Date: March 11th 2009
- Place: Germany: started at a high school in Winnenden
- Weapons: Beretta 92FS
- Psychology: clinical depression, growing anger and violent urges, unable to accept defeat
7. Eric Harris (1981-1999), age 18 and
8. Dylan Klebold (1981-1999), age 17.
- Killed: 15
- Injured: 21
- Date: April 20th 1999
- Place: USA: Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado
- Weapons: Intratec TEC-DC9, Hi-Point 995 Carbine, Savage 67H pump-action shotgun, Stevens 311D double-barrelled sawed-off shotgun, 99 explosives, 4 knives
- Psychology: Bullied. According to one study Harris was a clinical psychopath with messianic-level superiority complex. Klebold was depressive. Planned it for over a year. Most shootings are planned.
9. Marc Lépine (1964-1989), age 25.
- Killed: 15
- Injured: 14
- Date: December 6th 1989
- Place: Canada: École Polytechnique in Montreal, Quebec
- Weapons: Ruger Mini-14 rifle, hunting knife
- Psychology: Violent misogynist. Abused as a child.
10. Wellington Menezes de Oliveira (1987-2011), age 23.
- Killed: 13 (mostly girls between the ages of 10 and 13)
- Injured: 12
- Date: April 7th 2011
- Place: Brazil: Tasso da Silveira Municipal School in the Realengo neighbourhood of Rio de Janeiro
- Weapons: One .38-calibre revolver and one .32-calibre revolver
- Psychology: Bullied.