The Broken Record Department is an idea for this blog. It is a place to send commenters who bring up arguments that we have heard a zillion times before. While I like to keep comment threads somewhat loose and free-flowing, how many times do we have to sit through misinterpreted rape statistics or hearing about the average IQ of Africa being 70? If I have a post on it, I will list it in the Broken Records Department and send people there. It will be a top-level page like the Open Thread.
The idea is to keep comments about a stock argument in one place while keeping other threads more on point and, hopefully, have them not end in a Battle Against the Drones every time.
I got the idea, in part, from commenter Franklin:
Although it’s his house (and his rules), sometimes I DO wish Abagond would ban trolls. And I just mean the “broken record trolls”, who recycle the same drivel and clearly demonstrate that they are interested in doing nothing but creating distractions, by making excuses for the problems of whites.
Someone sent me email about it too, but I cannot remember who.
While I do not intend to ban trolls who can play by the rules, I do intend to clear the broken record ones off the new main threads.
Part of creating a Broken Record Department is to determine what broken records should go there and then, if necessary, write any of the missing posts and thereby set up threads for them.
The Broken Record Department should have no more than 20 broken record arguments – otherwise it will be hard to find anything, defeating its purpose.
We will choose those 20 through nominations: the 20 broken record arguments with the most nominations after a week will make the cut. I doubt a poll will be necessary.
Here are my nominations:
- Crime statistics: Blacks are naturally violent, criminal, etc.
- Black IQ: Blacks are less intelligent than whites.
- Whites do not benefit from racism, past (slavery, genocide, Jim Crow, etc) or present.
- The race card.
- Racism is dead.
- Racism is universal.
- Race is a fact of science.
- Talking about racism is racist and divisive.
- Criticism of whites can only come from hatred.
- Whites are individuals: Making general statements about whites is racist.
- Blacks are just as racist as whites if not more so.
- The “not all whites” arguments.
- Africans sold their own as slaves.
- The BET Fallacy: Television presents a true picture of black people.
- There is some truth to stereotypes.
- Black pathologies: Blacks are their own worst enemies.
- The bootstrap myth: American society is a meritocracy where success is determined mainly by talent and hard work.
- Affirmative action gives blacks an unfair advantage.
- The White Inventor Argument: Inventions prove whites have more intelligence.
- Resist Racism: Heard It Before
- Angry Black Woman: Required Reading
- Secret Course on Whiteness
- The white inventor argument
- bootstrap myth
- reading while white: crime statistics
- reading while white: black rape statistics
- black IQ
- “The average African IQ is 70″
- “Stereotypes have some truth to them”
- black racism is not a mirror image of white racism
- black pathology
- “not all white”s argument
- whites are individuals
- BET Fallacy
- race is social
- racism is unnatural
- “You see racism in everything”