In these days when the Trayvon Martin shooting is big news, some see a double standard. Why are we making a big deal about a white or Hispanic man killing a black teenager when blacks kill and beat up and do terrible things to white people all the time?
For example, commenter Sick & Tired said this:
What about these people? Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom, James Kouzaris, and James Cooper, John Sanderson, Frank Motta, Nancy and Bob Strait,Robert Purvis,Hannah Wheeling??!!!! I could go on and on! Where was Jackson, Farakan, or the black panther party? OH wait the victims were white and were murdered by blacks!!!!!!!!!!!!
In the meantime over the past two months Al Sharpton has protested the murders of Ramarley Graham in New York and Trayvon Martin in Florida – both black males killed by white or Hispanic men.
But what makes the Trayvon Martin case so terrible is not the race of his killer (which is why it is beside the point whether he is white or Hispanic or white Hispanic or whatever) but the actions of the authorities in letting him go free. As if the lives of black people do not matter. As if they are not worth protecting.
Compare Sick & Tired’s list of outrage to Al Sharpton’s:
What becomes of black-on-white murderers:
- Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom murders:
- Lemaricus Davidson: death by lethal injection
- Letalvis Cobbins: life without parole
- George Thomas: life without parole
- (the other two pictured above were accessories and got prison terms less than life)
- James Kouzaris and James Cooper murders:
- Shawn Tyson: convicted of two counts of first-degree murder
- John Sanderson murder: three suspects arrested
- Frank Motta murder:
- Treven Lewis arrested and charged with second-degree murder
- Nancy and Bob Strait murders:
- Tyrone Dale David Woodfork arrested and charged with first-degree murder, first-degree burglary, two counts of armed robbery and assault with a dangerous weapon
- Robert Purvis murder:
- Brian Beasley: life without parole
- Hannah Wheeling murder:
- Brian Wonsom: 85 years
What becomes of white-on-black murderers:
- Ramarley Graham murder
- Richard Haste: no arrest, no charge
- Trayvon Martin murder
- George Zimmerman: no arrest, no charge
See the difference? This is not about “hating whitey”, selective outrage or trying to score points. This is about a miscarriage of justice. That is the very reason for the protests – because without them little will be done.
Despite what some say the media circus over Trayvon Martin is the exception not the rule. For example, if you google “Ramarley Graham murder” right now my post from two months ago is listed first.
And that is the thing: White civil rights go back hundreds of years and are taken for granted. Black civil rights only go back to the 1960s and cannot (yet) be taken for granted. As the Trayvon Martin case makes painfully clear.