It is 2288. Racism between Americans has disappeared but in a way no one expected: They lost their country and everything they had when China took over 150 years ago. No one could stand up to the death ray machines of Operation Beautiful Spring. A third of Americans died. In 2288 two-thirds of the people living in North America were Chinese.
The comments from Chinese readers sound strangely familiar:
- Get over it! – Operation Beautiful Spring was 150 years ago! Why do you keep bringing it up? It is Ancient History. Everyone who took part in it is dead. Do not blame me: my family did not come to North America till 70 years later. I have nothing to do with it. You are living in the past.
- The Chinese inventor argument – Look at all the great things we invented: starships, warp drive, transporters, replicators, androids, the cure for cancer and on and on. Where would mankind be without them? What did the Americans ever invent? Model Ts, Victrolas and Apollo rockets? Don’t make me laugh.
- Intelligence tests prove that we are born with the best brains in the world. We were doing better than Americans even on American IQ tests 300 years ago! Face facts: we naturally belong on top. We know how to run things properly.
- American social pathologies – Americans are poor not because we took everything and run society for our benefit, but because Americans have bad values. Even back in the 1900s they had higher rates of violent crime and out-of-wedlock births than we did. You cannot blame us.
- Bootstraps – My grandfather came from China with just 25 yuans in his pocket. Instead of complaining he worked hard and pulled himself up by his bootstraps. If he can do it, anyone can. Look at the Vietnamese and Lebanese – they come here and do fine. So it is not as if we are racist or have something against Americans. Americans just do not want to work hard.
- Kumbayah! – I do not hate Americans. Some of my best friends are American. I do not see an American, I just see a human being. We need to get beyond nationality and learn to live in harmony.
- You are being divisive by constantly talking about Chinese people. Why are you so obsessed with Chinese racism? You are making Americans hate us, I hope you know that. You are making things worse, not better.
- You are not balanced – How come you never talk about out-of-wedlock births like those well-dressed, articulate Americans we let speak on television? You are avoiding the true issues affecting Americans. Americans are racist too, you know. One time in high school some Americans jumped me and beat me up. How come you never talk about that stuff? You are not being even-handed.
- You are hurting the anti-racist cause by saying bad things about Chinese people. You are driving away well-meaning Chinese readers. There will be no change until you learn to speak to us nicely.
– Abagond, 2011.