The Pioneer Fund (1937- ) is an American foundation that has poured millions into scientific racism. The fund started as part of the eugenics movement of the early 1900s and is still with us.
Much of the science that underlies Herrnstein and Murray’s “The Bell Curve” (1994) was paid for, at least in part, by the Pioneer Fund. The same goes for most of the science that underlies HBD (human biodiversity), the sort of scientific racism that Steve Sailer and others push on the Internet.
Some who have received money:
- Audrey Shuey, who wrote “The Testing of Negro Intelligence” (1958, 2nd ed., 1966).
- Arthur Jensen, a professor of psychology at Berkeley, who said in the Harvard Education Review in 1969 that Head Start was a waste of money because black children have an average IQ of only 85 and nothing much would ever change that. Instead “eugenic foresight” was the answer.
- William Shockley, an American physicist and an inventor of the transistor, who used the money to spread his racist views in the American press in the 1970s.
- Philip E. Vernon, who wrote “The Abilities and Achievements of Orientals in North America” (1982). Vernon said they are more intelligent and quieter. The fund uses this book to prove they are not white supremacists.
- Thomas J. Bouchard, Jr, who used the money to do the Minnesota Study of Identical Twins Reared Apart. In the words of the fund, the study showed that “heredity plays a major role in almost every type of human behavior, accounting for 40 to 80% of individual differences.”
- The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR), which in 1994 fought for Proposition 187, a California law that would bar undocumented immigrants from hospitals and schools. The Southern Poverty Law Center calls it a “racist hate group”.
- J. Philippe Rushton, the current head of the fund, is a professor of psychology. He wrote “Race, Evolution and Behavior” (1995), which says that whites and especially Orientals (his word) have better brains and societies because of the challenges of living through cold winters. He has a table showing that Orientals have smaller “sex characteristics”, less sex drive and bigger brains than blacks, with whites in between.
- Richard Lynn, who wrote “IQ and the Wealth of Nations” (2002) with Tatu Vanhanen. This is where “Africa has an IQ of 70” comes from. He says countries are rich or poor mainly due to IQ. Lynn has argued that blacks have a “psychopathic” personality.
- Jared Taylor, editor of American Renaissance, a white supremacist magazine and website.
The fund on its website admits:
- Not enough intelligence testing has been done in Africa, Latin America and most of Asia to get solid numbers – meaning that Rushton and Lynn’s books are not based on solid fact.
- Science is a long way from finding the “IQ gene” and the “crime gene”.
- It mostly gives money to race realists, people who see race as a fact of nature that needs to be studied by science.
– Abagond, 2010.