In the early 1900s America was ruled by rich white men, Wasps mostly. Some were highly intelligent, some not. Most people worked with their hands, especially on farms. You commonly found people of both low and high intelligence in all walks of life and in all neighbourhoods.
In the late 1900s America became technocratic. Now a university education mattered more than class, race, religion, ethnicity or even money.
More than half the chapters are spent proving that for white people IQ now matters more than class or even education in things like income, marriage, divorce, illegitimacy, crime, poverty, unemployment, parenting, civility, injury, having low birth weight babies and practising the middle-class values of staying in school, getting married and working hard.
It is a statistical argument: For any one person IQ might not be the most important thing, but when looking at large numbers of people in general, it is.
Since the 1950s high-IQ people have been rising to the top of society while low-IQ people have been sinking to the bottom.
Two new classes are arising out of this:
- The cognitive elite – the high-IQ people at the top who, in addition to the rich, run things. They went to top universities and have been filling the top ranks of society more and more. They live in nice neighbourhoods and have increasingly little to do with the rest of us.
- The underclass – the low-IQ people at the bottom. Because of their limited intelligence, they make poor choices in life, like dropping out of high school, having children out of wedlock, getting divorced – or never even getting married in the first place. They cause most of the crime and poverty in society.
Most blacks and Latinos, because of their low IQs, fall in the underclass. Since IQ is mostly inborn or genetic, there is little that can be done about it – short of having middle-class white people adopt black and Latino children in huge numbers and bring them up right in good homes. But even that would only raise their IQs by an average of six points.
Because low-IQ mothers have the most children, the underclass will grow and get worse, in time becoming an overall drain on society. The country will become increasingly poor and violent. Even racism might appear again among educated whites, as outlandish as that sounds.
Some policies that might help:
- Limit immigration. Most who come to America are just filling up the underclass.
- End affirmative action – it costs the country billions in lost efficiency. Besides, racism in hiring is slight (if you control for IQ).
- End welfare (the dole), but make sure the working poor can support themselves.
- Change laws to favour marriage.
- Change education policy: Cut money that helps those who do poorly at school (largely a waste) and use it instead to help students with high IQs.
- Charles Murray
- Madison Grant – made the same sort of arguments in the 1920s, where the cognitive elite was played by the Nordics and blacks and Latinos were played by Italians and Jews. This disappeared down the memory hole after The Third Enlargement of American Whiteness.
- The diseased host model of American society
- Steve Sailer
- The Black illegitimacy argument
- black education achievement gap
- The clash of civilizations