Mitrice Richardson (c. 1985- ), a 24-year-old secretary from South Los Angeles, has been missing for two weeks.
- Height; 5 foot 5 (1.65 m)
- Weight: 135 lbs (59 kg)
- Tattoos: on the back of her neck and lower abdomen
- Wearing: a black top and blue jeans
- Last seen: at 1:25 am on Thursday September 17th 2009 leaving the Malibu/Lost Hills police station in Calabasas, California.
- Reward: $10,000.
If you see her call the Los Angeles police. But please call her mother or father too because the police have been bad at following up on this:
- Her mother, Latice Sutton, at (909) 282-9134
- Her father, Michael Richardson, at (310) 283-4717
Unlike most missing black women, Richardson has made the news nationwide: both NBC and CNN have carried the story. But apart from her race she is like most of their missing persons: young, female, middle-class and pretty.
Her mother says she is manic-depressive (bipolar) and that on the night she disappeared she was in the manic stage, meaning she was not quite in her right mind. Signs of that:
- That afternoon she sent “erratic” text messages to her friends;
- She went to a very nice restaurant (Geoffrey’s Malibu) looking like the second picture (the police photo from that night), having her 1990 Honda Civic parked by a valet;
- According to workers at the restaurant she said she was from Mars and was there to avenge the death of Michael Jackson. She started talking in a made-up language (but that was after she was caught short on money and could not pay the $89.21 bill);
- She walked out into the night from the police station (after being arrested for failing to pay her bill) with no money, no car, no mobile phone and not even her ID. No buses run there in the middle of the night and the nearest shops were 20 minutes away on foot. (They kept her car because they found some marijuana in it.)
Her mother called the police station and said she would pick her up. She was led to believe they would hold her overnight till the morning. They did not (they later lied and said they did not have room). They did not even tell Richardson that her mother was coming.
Her father on seeing the police photo:
She looked like a demon had come inside her. That was not my daughter. It ran chills up my spine. I’ve never seen my daughter look like that.
And in that state they let her walk out into the night with nothing.
Five hours after she left a man called and said a woman was sleeping on his porch. She fit the description. The police took three hours to show up. By then the woman was gone.
The police have searched for her, but they have not followed up on all leads: at least one woman who reported seeing her was not called back.
Some of the roads nearby are very dangerous for walking as they go through canyon country – the kind that twist and turn and have a huge drop on one side.
Postscript: Her skeletal remains were found in Malibu Canyon on August 9th 2010, nearly a year after she disappeared. More at CNN.
- Mitrice Richardson’s MySpace page – last updated by her on September 16th
- Missing White Woman Syndrome
- Romona Moore
- The Rocky Mount Killer
- Virginia Dotson
- The police
- The black middle-class