Jordan Davis (1995-2012), an American high school student, was shot dead in Jacksonville, Florida on November 23rd 2012 by Michael Dunn in an argument over loud music. Davis was black and 17, Dunn is white and 45, a software developer.
Like the Trayvon Martin killing:
- another unarmed 17-year-old black boy shot dead
- in Florida
- the killer will probably argue self-defence under the Stand Your Ground law
- racism seems likely in that there is no other reason for a grown man with a gun to feel his life threatened by an unarmed black boy.
- that sense that, as Melissa Harris-Perry puts it, “this is no country for young black men”.
- the killer was arrested one day later, not 44 days and numberless protests later.
- the killer fled the crime scene.
- there are at least three witnesses who were right there: Davis’s friends.
- not hoodies this time, but loud music drew the killer’s attention
The story as mainly told by Dunn’s lawyer (with bits from the police):
Michael Dunn was returning from his son’s wedding. He stopped to get wine at a Gate gas station quickie mart, parking next to Jordan Davis. Davis was in a red Dodge Durango, out on a Friday night with three of his friends, also black teenaged boys – “kids” as Dunn later put it.
While Dunn’s girlfriend went in to get the wine, Dunn asked Davis to turn down his music. He did – but soon turned it back up. They argued. Dunn says Jordan Davis then pointed a shotgun at him and said “This is going down now.”
Dunn got his gun, a Taurus 9-millimetre (pictured), and fired at least four shots at Davis and at least four more at the car as it pulled out. Jordan Davis died on the way to the hospital.
Dunn did not tell the police, but a witness who followed him did – after getting his licence plate number. The next day the police arrested Dunn. They charged him with second-degree murder and attempted murder.
No shotgun has been found. Or any weapon Davis might have used.
It is early days so more might come out.
Ron Davis, Jordan’s father, fears that Dunn will use the Stand Your Ground law to beat the murder charge.
He is right to be concerned: in states with Stand Your Ground laws 34% of whites who shoot at blacks get away with it. For blacks who shoot at whites it is only 3%. Murder has gone up in those states.
The New York Times reports that Jordan Davis has no criminal record and comes from “a stable environment at home”. Like he is the suspect or something. Meanwhile they say nothing about Michael Dunn’s criminal record or the home environment he came from. Like there is nothing odd or sick about a man who picks deadly fights over loud music at gas stations. Or who values human life so cheaply.
- Melissa Harris-Perry on Jordan Davis - Straight out of Nerdland. Excellent.
- Marissa Alexander – another Jacksonville Stand Your Ground case
- Trayvon Martin
- Should George Zimmerman be arrested? - this post got 1,631 comments! No joke.
- The perfect victim
- phantom black assailants
- white men who kill unarmed people:
- unarmed blacks killed by whites as some kind of threat:
- Trayvon Martin
- Aiyana Jones
- Emmett Till
- C.J. Miller
- those killed because of phantom weapons:
- Sean Bell - his friend was said to be pulling out a gun. No gun was found.
- Ramarley Graham - said to have a gun. None was found.
- Kenneth Chamberlain - said to have a butcher’s knife. The video showed no such thing
- Rekia Boyd - killed because police thought a mobile phone was a “gun”
- Oscar Grant - said to be reaching for a gun even though the police had already searched him