Here are the ten most gorgeous black men in the world who are famous enough to have an article in the Wikipedia. See below for how the list was produced.
1. Idris Elba (1972- ) is a British actor. He was in “The Wire” on American television from 2002 to 2004. His father was from Sierra Leone, his mother from Ghana.
2. Boris Kodjoe (1973- ) is an Austrian-American actor. He was on the American television show “Soul Food”. His father is from Ghana, his mother from Germany.
3. Chiwetel Ejiofor (1974- ) is a British actor best known for playing the lead in “Dirty Pretty Things” (2002). He was born in London to Igbo parents from Nigeria.
4. Barack Obama (1961- ) is the current American president. His father was a Luo from Kenya, his mother was a white from Kansas.
5. Tyson Beckford (1970- ) is an American model for Ralph Lauren, now turned actor. He is part Chinese and Jamaican.
6. Blair Underwood (1964- ) is an American actor. He was on the television show “L.A. Law” from 1987 to 1994.
7. Shemar Moore (1970- ) is an American actor best known for playing Malcolm Winters on the television soap opera “The Young and the Restless” from 1994 to 2002.
8. Djimon Hounsou (1964- ), born in Benin, became a model in Paris and then an actor in Holllywood. He played Cinque in “Amistad” (1997) and later appeared in “In America” (2003) and “Blood Diamonds” (2006). In 2009 he had a son by Kimora Lee Simmons.
9. Maxwell (1973- ) is an American R&B singer, best known for the songs “Fortunate” (1999) and “Pretty Wings” (2009). His father is from Puerto Rico, his mother from Haiti. He is who I voted for.
10. Michael Jackson (1958-2009) was an American singer, the King of Pop. His “Thriller” (1982) became the best selling album of all time.
How I made the list: I had five days of open nominations on my blog followed by 12 days of an online poll. Commenters were allowed any number of nominations and seconds, but voters could only vote for one man. There were 405 nominations and seconds for 190 different men. All those who were at least fourthed made it into the poll: 30 men. The poll got 356 votes.
I have already done posts on Michael Jackson, Barack Obama, Idris Elba and Boris Kodjoe. I will do posts on the remaining six, one a week starting next week.
Men who did worse than expected (made the top ten in nominations but not in votes):
- Denzel Washington
- Lenny Kravitz
- Michael Ealy
- Bob Marley
Those who did better than expected (not among the top ten nominated):
- Chiwetel Ejiofor
- Tyson Beckford
- Shemar Moore
- Michael Jackson
Thank you to everyone who took part (even if your favourite lost)!