I write in Standard English as clearly as I can but despite that some readers still misunderstand me. So for the serious-minded here are some pointers (click on links to go deeper on a particular point):
- I live in America. Much of what I say might apply only to that country. But going by the comments, it seems a good deal of it applies to the white English-speaking world in general.
- When I say “white people” I do not mean ALL white people. Just Americans mainly and not even all of them – just most of them. I know that whites are individuals but, sad to say, racism makes way too many of them act in certain common ways.
- I believe in the fallen nature of man. Like what St Paul says in the Bible. And because that nature has been there since the beginning it affects every one of every race. Everyone has a common human nature that is part good and part evil.
- Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely, as Lord Acton said. Power not only gives you a greater opportunity to do evil, even worse it seriously affects your judgement.
- All men are created equal, as Thomas Jefferson said. White people are not naturally better – or worse – than anyone else. And likewise, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being black.
- White people are not uniquely evil. I know that Arab traders sold slaves and that Asian kids are beat up by black kids and all that.
- White people are not the source of all evil. Just most of it in this particular period of history – not because they were born to be more evil but simply because they have most of the power, and power corrupts.
- America is not naturally just. No human society is, despite what some like to think. America was built on racism to excuse the crimes of genocide and slavery. And it still is racist.
- Racism is more than just the Klan and the n-word. Racism means looking down on people because of their race. It is a mindset, a worldview.
- Nearly all White Americans are racist. Not the hating kind but the polite look-down-on-you kind. They tend to be blind to it.
- Blacks are racist too. I know that. Almost everyone in America is. Like it is in the water or something.
- I am racist too. Unfortunately.
- If I call you racist it is meant as friendly advice. In most cases. Racism is a set of ideas, like communism or Scientology, not a character fault.
- Being race conscious is not the same as being racist. Whites in America do not have to think about race, but people of colour do.
- The truth is more important than your feelings.
- As a writer my duty is to present the truth as clearly as I can. If white people like what I write, great. If they do not, I am not going to lose sleep over it.