I will keep the following set of ten rules for one year. They
begin on the first day of fall — the 23rd of September — and will
end on the last day of summer next year. Any changes to the rules will
be made here in this posting.
- Read these rules on Sunday.
- Pray once a day
- Read Scripture once a day.
- Write 500 words a day, except for Sundays.
- Read only books from Augustine’s library. Read at least
one such book a month.
- Do not eat after three in the afternoon (except for Sundays).
- Do not watch television alone.
- No radio, newspaper or magazines other than The Economist.
(Added October 26th).
- Do not look at pictures of women who have no clothes on.
- Live the Christian faith as it was understood in the
- The 4/21 rule: prefer the fourth century over the 21st.
I can break any of these rules if I need to for work, illness or
out of necessity. That may sound like a lot, but ordinarily it is